Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 12

"Wait on the Lord and keep His ways."  Psalm 37:34
    So what am I supposed to do?  Wait or act?  Sound like a contradiction?  How often do we get bogged down with the tension that exists between faith and works?  I like the way Murray helps to resolve this tension, in terms of waiting on God while we continue to be obedient to His Word:  "Wait on the Lord - that has to do with worship and disposition; keep His ways -that deals with walk and work.  The outer life must be in harmony with the inner; the inner must be the inspiration and the strength for the outer."  My obedience comes as a result of the inner faith that I should have, knowing that God is faithful and that He is working.  "If we do not keep His ways, our waiting on Him can bring no blessing."  Basically, if I claim to "wait" on the Lord, but walk in my own ways, down my own path, doing my own thing, my actions proclaim my lack of faith in God.  I really don't want to wait on Him after all.  I've decided that I can do it all myself. 
   But haven't I realized that I can't keep His ways?  Why bother?  Murray reminds us that we actually can't accomplish this on our own.  Our strength must come from Him.  "Surrender yourself willingly and trustingly to keep all God's ways, in the strength which will come in waiting on Him."  When I allow God to work in my life, He will empower me with His Spirit to accomplish His will in my life. And in that power of the Holy Spirit, I can obediently walk in His ways.  What a blessed life!   

No comments:

Post a Comment